UV-B Light

Louisa Stark Louisa.Stark at COLORADO.EDU
Thu Feb 12 13:17:26 EST 1998

Carl Pike wrote:

> I'm helping students with a project on the effects of UV-B on plant growth.
> In several papers, authors mention using a Westinghouse (or other) FS 40
> bulb as the UV-B source.  My local distributor (and indeed one journal
> article) said that the bulb is no longer available.  Does anyone have any
> particular information on a commercially available light source for this
> work?  Thanks.
>
> Carl S. Pike                             (717) 291-3958
> Department of Biology                    FAX (717) 399-4548
> Franklin and Marshall College            Internet  C_PIKE at ACAD.FANDM.EDU
> P.O. Box 3003
> Lancaster, PA  17604-3003  USA

I haven't ordered this bulb in the last year or so, but Cole-Parmer
Instrument Co. has been carrying 15 Watt UV-A, UV-B and UV-C fluorescent
tubes.  The UV-B tube is item # H-09815-63, has a wavelength of 312nm,
and cost $30.  The bulb is approximately 18" long and will fit in a
commercial light fixture that you can purchase at a hardward store (use
the fixture without the plastic light cover in place).  Cole-Parmer's
toll-free telephone number is 1-800-323-4340.

Louisa Stark

Louisa A. Stark, Ph.D.
Department of Environmental, Population and Organismic Biology
University of Colorado
Boulder, CO 80309-0334
Phone: (303) 440-0253   Fax: (303) 492-7744
Email: Louisa.Stark at colorado.edu