What can you do with a BS in Biology?

Jon Monroe monroejd at jmu.edu
Thu Feb 12 09:35:33 EST 1998

Brian wrote:

>What can a person do for a career with a BS in Biology?  My girlfriend
>says she enjoys biology and wants to get her BS.  I asked her what she
>would do for a career later with that degree other than teach.  Even
>finding a job teaching would be difficult with only a BS.  She said
>that she'd worry about that later.  So I ask, what other careers can a
>person with a BS in Biology look?

That is a very good question.  I think the best strategy is to look in
specific fields since Biology is so broad.  The web is a great place to
look for actual jobs or just ideas.  Here are a few collections of links
that I point my students to:

The Biology Careers Page - from Furman University
http://www.furman.edu/~snyder/careers/careers.html

Careers in Biology - from the University of Arizona
http://www.blc.arizona.edu/blc_home/careers.html

American Institute of Biological Sciences (AIBS) Careers in Biology
http://www.aibs.org/careers.html

Frequently Asked Questions About Careers in Biology - from the University
of Dayton
http://www.as.udayton.edu/bio/careers/careers.htm

There are many more collections like these and lots of links within these
links so be prepared to spend some time wandering the web.  You can find
more via a search engine using "biology careers".

Best of luck,

Jon

  Jonathan Monroe                voice:  540-568-6649 (office)
  Department of Biology                  540-568-6045 (lab)
  James Madison University       fax:    540-568-3333
  Harrisonburg, VA 22807-0001    e-mail: monroejd at jmu.edu
    http://www.jmu.edu/biology/biofac/jmonroe/jmonroe.html