What can you do with a BS in Biology?

Jon Monroe monroejd at jmu.edu
Thu Feb 12 09:35:33 EST 1998

Brian wrote:

>What can a person do for a career with a BS in Biology?  My girlfriend
>says she enjoys biology and wants to get her BS.  I asked her what she
>would do for a career later with that degree other than teach.  Even
>finding a job teaching would be difficult with only a BS.  She said
>that she'd worry about that later.  So I ask, what other careers can a
>person with a BS in Biology look?

That is a very good question.  I think the best strategy is to look in
specific fields since Biology is so broad.  The web is a great place to
look for actual jobs or just ideas.  Here are a few collections of links
that I point my students to:

The Biology Careers Page - from Furman University

Careers in Biology - from the University of Arizona

American Institute of Biological Sciences (AIBS) Careers in Biology

Frequently Asked Questions About Careers in Biology - from the University
of Dayton

There are many more collections like these and lots of links within these
links so be prepared to spend some time wandering the web.  You can find
more via a search engine using "biology careers".

Best of luck,

  Jonathan Monroe                voice:  540-568-6649 (office)
  Department of Biology                  540-568-6045 (lab)
  James Madison University       fax:    540-568-3333
  Harrisonburg, VA 22807-0001    e-mail: monroejd at jmu.edu