lab protocol for GA induction of amylase

Mary Williams mwilliams at THUBAN.AC.HMC.EDU
Thu Feb 12 17:49:30 EST 1998

Dear plant ed folks,
        We have a vegan student who won't participate in our animal
physiology module in Intro Bio lab. I said I'd be willing to come up with a
"vegetarian alternative" for her. The lab deals with cell signalling and
response. Off the top of my head, I decided to have her investigate how the
embryo triggers starch degradation in barley. The problem is, I've torn my
office and the internet apart and can't find the protocol I thought I had
for this lab (I've never done it, but I thought I had it!)

        Can anyone help out? I've got a pretty good idea of what to expect,
but need to know such things as - how long does it take to go from dry
seeds to a enough starch breakdown to detect by IKI? Can I see a loss of
starch by staining seeds, or do I need to look at breakdown of starch in
petri dishes? What concentration of GA will stimulate non-embryo seed
halves to produce amylase? etc etc etc.

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds!

As an aside, I wonder how most schools respond to student such as this one
- we had quite a debate about her in our department meeting! If your
department has a policy for "conscientious objectors" in the lab classes
I'd like to hear about it,

Mary Williams
Dept of Biology
Harvey Mudd College