Grafting annual plants?

Bob Vickery vickery at mpx.com.au
Sun Feb 15 00:56:59 EST 1998

In article <6bup4j$t9a$1 at medousa.forthnet.gr>,
"tsir" <tsir at aurora.eexi.gr> wrote:

>Hi
>I want to graft plant of different varieties of the same annual species.
>Does anybody know the methodology or any bibliographic reference?
>
>Thank you
>
>Costas
>ksai at matrix.kapatel.gr

I used to make grafts between genera of Cucurbitaceae, such as cucumber on
pumpkin or watermelon.  The only method that worked for me was to graft
seedlings while their cotyledons were still expanding.

The stock was made by cutting between the cotyledons partway into the
hypocotyl.  The scion was made by two sloping cuts through the hypocotyl to
make a wedge.  The pointed end of the scion was then pushed into the split
in the stock.  The graft was wrapped with sewing cotton.  The sewing cotton
was cut off after about a week, before it could strangle the growing
plants.  The grafts were raised in solution culture but that may not be
essential.

Cheers

Bob Vickery
vickery at mpx.com.au