Botany non-textbook book

Fri Feb 20 17:25:09 EST 1998

At 4:54 PM -0500 2/20/98, DJHicks%Faculty%MC at wrote:
>>     .... I was wondering if any of you have a suggestion as to a general
>>     interest book related to plants or plant science that might be
>>     appropriate for a sophomore-level Botany course.
>>     Also:
>>     Does anyone else do something similar in their Botany or Biology
>>     courses?
>>     Mark
>*** An area that students tend to find interesting is ehtnobotany, and ther=
>are some good books out there on the subject:
>Balick and Cox. Plants, People and Culture.
>Plotkin. Tales of a Shaman's Apprentice.
>(I am using the latter two as texts in my ethnobotany class - it's a brand-
>new course, but these books seem to be working well.)
>Davis. One River.
>Perlin. A Forest Journey.
>Nabhan. Gathering the Desert.
>Joyce. Earthly Goods.
>Coe and Coe. True History of Chocolate.
>Anderson. Peyote.

My choice of these is Brian Capon's Botany for Gardeners
from Timber Press.  Inexpensive, lots of great color photos,
excellent paper.  It has a kind of odd organization, but
maybe a non-traditional approach is good!

Ross Koning                 | koning at
Biology Department          |
Willimantic, CT 06226 USA   | fax: 860-465-4479