Botany non-textbook book

Susan Singer ssinger at CARLETON.EDU
Fri Feb 20 17:06:04 EST 1998

Mark,
  In our intro bio course we are currently reading Dawkins' Climbing Mount
Improbable.  Last year we read his River Out of Eden.  We have students
bring in written questions, have small group discussions and then have
groups report back to the larger group (24 students) followed by further
discussion.  We do this in the lab rather than in our larger lecture
format.  You might consider the Barbara McClintock biography, A Feeling for
the Organism for a botany course.  I use Scientific American articles each
Friday in my plant biology (sophomore level course) and have students take
turns giving brief presentations on the paper and leading a discussion. In
my upper level plant development course we are currently working through
Penrose's Writing in the Sciences, Exploring Conventions of Scientific
Discourse.  It's a book on scientific communication (not just writing) and
has been a nice springboard for lab discussions on what to do next after
you get your results.
Susan

Susan Singer                                    Phone:  507-646-4391
Department of Biology                           Fax:    507-646-5757
Carleton College                                E-mail: ssinger at carleton.edu
Northfield, MN 55057