Botany non-textbook book

m.lee mikaline at netcom.com
Sat Feb 21 22:13:24 EST 1998

Mark Hammer (MHammer at WSCGATE.WSC.EDU) wrote:
|      Plant-eder's:
|
|      At our last biology faculty meeting, we became disturbed to learn that
|      some of our top students received low marks on their verbal GRE scores
|      while getting very high quantitative scores.  One solution we came up
|      with is to have some additional non-textbook reading assignments in
|      our major's courses.  Something like Lewis Thomas: Lives of the Cell
|      for our Intro Biology course.
|
|      I was wondering if any of you have a suggestion as to a general
|      interest book related to plants or plant science that might be
|      appropriate for a sophomore-level Botany course.

I'd vote for Rutherford Platt's THIS GREEN WORLD, if nothing else because
he was the first non-professional naturalist to win the John Burroughs
Award for his unique blend of scientific description and literary art.
There are several botanical poets on rec.arts.poems, foremost Colin Will,
if you REALLY want to broaden your students horizons.  I teethed on Donald
Culross Peattie myself, but I don't think he's even in print any more.

ml