botany syllabi and texts

David W. Kramer kramer.8 at OSU.EDU
Tue Feb 24 14:08:09 EST 1998

Lee Hadden wrote:

>>4. Does anyone feel the need for some type of course development forum
>> [website/ BBS/ local-regional dialog groups, newsletter [electronic or
>> snailmail], etc] to provide a quick, concise reference point for plant
>> curriculum review, modification, or for younger colleagues just
>> starting out who think they've got the problem licked--for a while? :)

I hope everyone who shares Lee's interests will continue the dialogue
through the Plant-Ed listserve.  Lots of this information has been shared
in the past and is very useful to all subscribers.

There also are many web sites where this kind of information is available.
In November I heard an excellent presentation from Jeff Newman of Lycoming
College.  Jeff's presentation includes the "Top Ten Reasons to Have a
Course Web Page!"  You can see his full presentation at
http://lyco.lycoming.edu/~newman/workshop/wwclass.htm

Jeff's presentation not only gives you the reasons but also provides many
examples through links to other biology web pages.  It's a good beginning
point to see how others are using the www in teaching but even if you have
an aversion to the web you can see syllabi from several college biology
courses across the country.

Dave Kramer, Chair
Education Committee
Botanical Society of America