botany syllabi and texts

Dr. David Starrett dstarret at BIOLOGY.SEMO.EDU
Tue Feb 24 16:28:22 EST 1998

My current syllabus (O.K., so it is a couple semesters behind) for
sophomore intro botany is at

http://biology.semo.edu/web/courses/bo200/bo200r97.html

Some of the methods I use to perk up interest, etc include:

Having students give the lectures for the first 6-7 lectures

Having the students write some of the exam questions (they write harder
ones than I and these questions are missed more on the exam, even when I
unofficially encourage them to share notes on submitted questions!)

Stopping in the middle of a slow lecture and asking them to write down 5
things they just learned

Having part of the final ask them to list x number of things they learned
about botany, not on the other part of the final (last summer I asked for
75 things, boy was this a hard question!, A lot of them really had to think
about what they learned)

Having them build a flower.  I picked this up off of a poster at ASPP/San
Antonio in 1996, comes from Northwest Missouri State University.  They use
pipe cleaners, paper bags, sequin, etc.  They then have to describe it to
the class using all the botanical terms they learned (monoecious, epigyny,
etc.)

I would like to see the suggested web site.  Dave Kramer's suggestions
would be worthwhile.  I heard the same talk he referred to in his last
posting.  However, I wouldn't mind seeing a site devoted a little more
specifically to the area mentioned.  I am constantly trying to come up with
approaches to make plants more intersting to all the future Drs., dentists,
etc. in my classes.  A site containing a variety of sylalbi off of which to
get ideas would be worthwhile.  Could this be done on ASPP site?  Would it
perhaps need a mediator of sorts, that is somone to check and post the
pages, or maybe even more easy would be to simply have the list there with
links to all the appropriate sites, etc...

... my 2 cents worth

Dave Starrett

* Dr. David Starrett                                      *
* Biology Department, MS 6200                             *
* Southeast Missouri State University                     *
* Cape Girardeau, MO  63701                               *
* Ph: 573-651-2382                                        *
* Fax: 573-651-2223                                       *
* Email: dstarret at biology.semo.edu                        *