Position available

Carl Johnson johnsonc at CTRVAX.VANDERBILT.EDU
Thu Feb 26 15:06:59 EST 1998

                        POSITION AVAILABLE

        Our department has a position available for a non-tenure track
position. This is a position paid by my Research Career Development Award
to teach one of my large classes, "Human Biology." We're looking for a
proven excellent teacher of large classes, but within that classification,
preference will be given to someone interested in working on clocks and/or
photoperiodism in plants and/or cyanobacteria that can interact closely
with my lab. The position will be for a minimum of two years, but might be
funded for longer. Expertise in the subject of Human Biology isn't
necessary since this is a non-majors course and just about anyone can learn
the material to a sufficient level without too much trouble. But, the
ability to make the subject interesting to a non-majors audience IS
important.
        If you have further questions, please contact me.
        Sincerely,
        Carl Johnson
        Vanderbilt University
        My lab's homepage: http://johnsonlab.biology.vanderbilt.edu

The following ad appeared for the position in the 2/20/98 issue of Science:

Lecturer/Research Associate in Biology:   The Department of Biology at
Vanderbilt University invites applications for a temporary, non-tenure track
position with time divided between teaching and research in the laboratory
of one of the permanent faculty.  Teaching will include a large course for
non-majors (approx. 200 students) on the subject of Human Biology and
another course which complements the needs of the department.  For more
specific information about our department, contact our Web page at:
http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/Biology/biodept.htm.  Applicants should submit
a curriculum vitae, description of research interests, teaching experience,
and arrange to have three letters of recommendation sent by March 31 to:
Human Biology Search Committee, Department of Biology, Box 1812 Station B,
Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN 37235, USA.  Vanderbilt is an Equal
Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.