Need Help Finding education in plant genetics

Jon Monroe monroejd at jmu.edu
Thu Jan 1 14:25:03 EST 1998

>Hello my name is Thomas L. Slewinski.  I have been interested and working with
>plants since i was about five.

Hi Tom.  Good for you!  Lots of folks reading this newsgroup feel the same
way you do about plants.

>I am 17 now and cannot find any place for
>education  in genetic reasearch/engenering, Biochemistry with plants, tissue
>culturing.

Here are some websites to start with:

The American Society of Plant Physiologists page of links to plant
education sites:
http://www.aspp.org/education/edlink.htm

Scott Russell's Big Botanical Site:
http://www.ou.edu/cas/botany-micro/bot-linx/subject.shtml

The Arabidopsis thaliana Database (AtDB) - mostly intended for researchers
using a plant called arabidopsis.  This plant's entire genome is currently
being sequenced so if you are at all interested in plant genetics this is
the plant to study!
http://genome-www.stanford.edu/Arabidopsis/

This last site is a list of URLs collected in a paper called "Plant Biology in
the Post-Gutenberg Era: Everything you Wanted to Know and More on the World
Wide Web." which was published in the journal "Plant Physiology".
http://genome-www.stanford.edu/Arabidopsis/plant_phys_URLs.html

Good luck!

Jon

  Jonathan Monroe                voice:  540-568-6649 (office)
  Department of Biology                  540-568-6045 (lab)
  James Madison University       fax:    540-568-3333
  Harrisonburg, VA 22807-0001    e-mail: monroejd at jmu.edu
    http://www.jmu.edu/biology/biofac/jmonroe/jmonroe.html