photorespiration - why? (fwd)

bill WSCOHEN at UKCC.UKY.EDU
Thu Jan 8 10:54:17 EST 1998

A question for the plant ed people to ponder that was posed on the biolab at hubca
p chat!

     William S. Cohen                   Voice Mail: [606] 257 1030
     School of Biological Sciences      FAX:        [606] 257 1717
     101 Morgan Bldg                    EMAIL: WSCOHEN at UKCC.UKY.EDU
     University of Kentucky
     LEXINGTON, KY 40506-0225
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 1998 17:24:01 -0500 (EST)
Sender: biolab at hubcap.clemson.edu
From: barbara beitch <brbeitch at hamdenhall.org>
To: Multiple recipients of list <biolab at hubcap.clemson.edu>
Subject: photorespiration - why?

Biolabbers -

Boy, I'm full of questions today.  Probably because I'm so glad that
you're all back.

Each year when I teach photorespiration, I tear my hair out trying to
find out if anyone has a great hypothesis about any possible adaptive
value of this pathway.  Yeah, yeah, I know that it generates carbon
dioxide, and results in rubisco again fixing it and the Calvin cycle
resuming.  But at what cost?!?  Doesn't the organism get anything else
out of it?  Are some of the amino acids formed in the process used in
protein synthesis, or something like that?  I've searched the Net,
searched my plant physiology books, and can find nothing that I'm happy
with.

Any ideas out there?

		-Puzzled,

		Barb Beitch