phloroglucinol stain

Scott D. Russell srussell at
Wed Jan 21 16:29:31 EST 1998

According to Jensen's Botanical Histochemistry (1962):
Use a saturated aqueous solution of phloroglucinol in 20% HCl.

In article <34C6107E.2B4C at>, jlpicker at wrote:
>Help!!  I have misplaced the stain mixture for phloroglucinol. This is
>used to stain secondary cells walls (lignin) a red color.  I believe it
>is a 1% solution, but don't recall what the solution is (water,
>alcohol).  I would appreciate it if someone could provide the correct
>method for making this useful stain.  Thanks.

Scott D. Russell                     Internet:  srussell at
Dept of Botany & Microbiology      ->
 & Noble Electron Microscopy Lab   >
University of Oklahoma, Norman OK    Phone:  1-405-325-6234
 73019-0245   USA                    FAX:    1-405-325-7619