stupid plant tricks

Tue Jul 14 19:45:41 EST 1998

At 1:24 PM -0400 7/14/98, Mike Snow wrote:
>	Carl-
>	I've found the best sequential response with Mimosa is to use
>heat in addition to touch. Try lighting a wooden match, blowing it out,
>and quickly touch the terminal leaflet with the warm match. Works for my

I forgot in my post about heat...I often
get enough signal with body heat...If you
carefully hold the terminal leaflets between
the thumb and forefinger for just a moment, you
often get the sequential closure response.

Again, sometimes only the leaflets you hold
are the only ones that close, but often you
do get the sequence.  It takes a steady hand.

Good Luck!

Ross Koning                 | koning at
Biology Department          |
Willimantic, CT 06226 USA   | fax: 860-465-4479