Plant how to questions

dosmann at IASTATE.EDU dosmann at IASTATE.EDU
Mon Jun 8 12:04:52 EST 1998

> At 06:44 PM 6/6/1998 -0500, you wrote:
> >I just purchased this plant a few weeks ago & I've been keeping it
> >outside so it gets enough sun. I think I must have watered it too much.
> >How often should it be watered? Thanks for any advice, Mark
>
> Plant-edders,
>   It seems that we get quite a few questions of this nature, and perhaps
> more frequently these days.  I am glad to see people asking questions and
> glad to see people figuring out how to find resources on the Internet, etc.
>  Maybe this sounds a bit high-and-mighty, or scroogish, but... is this the
> proper place for these types of questions?  I don't mind reading and
> deleting (I tend not to have much more clue than the questioner on these
> queries) and realize it is hard to limit the type of question, but it would
> seem that there should be some source that is better suited to these
> questions.
>   Anyone else have a thought on this?
>

> Dave Starrett

	Don't call me an elitist, but I hear you loud and clear!  Many of the
questions could be answered with ease if the individuals asking them would
pick up any general gardening/houseplant book.  Of course, it is much easier
for them to ask a bunch of 'experts' and get an answer than it is to
actively search for one on their own.

	I delete most of them, especially if they are like the above.
However, I usually take a stab at the specific questions (especially
those pertaining to woody plants).  Also, if somebody took the time to think
of a good question (and phrased it as such), I will try to point them
in the right direction.  Especially if it appears as if they exhausted
other resources.

	I would assume that most asking these questions are not 'regular'
Plant-edders.  They probably see it on the web, and assume it is a
Hort-Line of such, and don't really know what the purpose of this list is
(not that questions of this sort are outside the realm of the list).

	There are other sources out there.  The Minnesota Landscape
Arboretum has an online service (for $$), and many other universities
have free hort-lines (telephone).  Maybe that is the key?  We should (if
it is not within our discipline) forward them to their local extension
service.

	Anyway, off my soap-box.

	Michael
---