Plant how to questions

Jon Monroe monroejd at jmu.edu
Mon Jun 8 12:59:52 EST 1998

David Starrett wrote regarding the recent spate of gardening questions:

>Plant-edders,
>[stuff deleted] it would seem that there should be some source that is
>better suited >to these questions.  Anyone else have a thought on this?

Yes, there is.  Other public newsgroups I am aware of that could be used
for these questions are:

rec.gardens
rec.gardens.ecosystems
rec.gardens.edible
rec.gardens.orchids
rec.gardens.roses
sci.bio.botany
bionet.plants

As Michael Dosmann just indicated, many plant-ed users are not subscribers
and don't know what our charter says.  All they see is the name of the
newsgroup and perhaps a few subjects before firing off their question.  One
solution is moderation.  As most of you will recall we voted about a year
ago to make this group moderated and the response was strongly yes.  The
problem at the time was a large increase in the frequency of junk e-mail
messages.  I asked Biosci to make the necessary changes and they said they
would but they haven't done it.  I suspect that they developed an
electronic system to screen out the junk and, if so, it appears to be
working.  Such a system does not, however, keep honest people who are
unaware of our charter from asking questions that might be better asked
elsewhere.  Since some of you do reply to these messages, screening them
out at the level of a moderator could be harmful.

I recommend deleting messages before getting annoyed, and replying when we
have time and can help...

Any more thoughts?  Please reply to the group.

Jon

  Jonathan Monroe                voice:  540-568-6649 (office)
  Department of Biology                  540-568-6045 (lab)
  James Madison University       fax:    540-568-3333
  Harrisonburg, VA 22807-0001    e-mail: monroejd at jmu.edu
    http://www.jmu.edu/biology/biofac/jmonroe/jmonroe.html