Plant how to questions

Jon Monroe monroejd at jmu.edu
Mon Jun 8 15:42:57 EST 1998

Ross;

>I don't know whether it is possible, but one feature
>of many mail-lists I am on is restricting access to
>subscribers only.

That may be an option for some types of groups, but not one that BIOSCI
would be interested in.  In fact, they are pushing in the opposite
direction and would prefer that people use their newsgroups through either
newsreaders or the web.  The large numbers of users (>100,000
messages/week) would probably clog their system if they all had to
subscribe.

The following paragraph from the BIOSCI website might help us to understand
what they are all about:

"BIOSCI is a series of freely accessible electronic communication forums
(i.e., electronic bulletin boards or "newsgroups") for use by biological
scientists worldwide.  No fees are charged for the service. The system is
intended to promote communication between professionals in the biological
sciences.  All postings to the newsgroups should be made in that spirit.
While the general public may "listen in" to the discussions, these
newsgroups are intended primarily for communications between researchers.
There are other forums on Usenet such as sci.bio for the asking and
answering of biological questions from lay persons."

At this point I think the value of plant-ed being part of an open,
archivable system outweighs the various negatives we have come across.  If
the situation changes in the future perhaps we could consider other
options, but for now I think it works.

Jon

  Jonathan Monroe                voice:  540-568-6649 (office)
  Department of Biology                  540-568-6045 (lab)
  James Madison University       fax:    540-568-3333
  Harrisonburg, VA 22807-0001    e-mail: monroejd at jmu.edu
    http://www.jmu.edu/biology/biofac/jmonroe/jmonroe.html