Plant how to questions

dosmann at IASTATE.EDU dosmann at IASTATE.EDU
Tue Jun 9 09:30:33 EST 1998

> Changing the name to something less popular, like botany-ed or edu-botany
> might avoid a lot of "hits" by people looking for advice on gardening.  It
> won't avoid the advertising spams.
> Janice
> ***********************************
>  Janice M. Glime, Professor
>  Department of Biological Sciences
>  Michigan Technological University
>  Houghton, MI 49931-1295
>  jmglime at mtu.edu
>  906-487-2546
>  FAX 906-487-3167
> ***********************************

	I'll throw in a couple more pennies on the issue...

	Janice is right, that changing the name may decrease the number
of gardening questions, but will still not hinder the amount of spam.

	If the name is changed, I think we should still try to maintain a
name that is general enough about the plant-sciences to foster
discussions pertaining to everything from plant tax courses to methods of
demonstrating biotech techniques, etc...  Somebody (sorry, can't remember
who!) suggested plant-acad (or something close--where is my memory).  I
like this train of thought.  Can we perhaps (if we choose a different
name) incorporate 'teaching' into it?  Or 'teaching methods?'
I think we have a pretty diverse group, from traditional botanists to
academicians in forestry, agronomy, horticulture and other related
areas.  Our name should try to reflect this.

	Just an idea or two,
	Michael
---
Michael S Dosmann