steam girdling

Jon Greenberg jongreen at BLUEMARBLE.NET
Tue Jun 9 14:36:48 EST 1998

Has anyone had experience with steam girdling to kill phloem without
mechanically injuring a plant stem? I'm working on a high school biology
text and would like to include an activity to stress the difference
between transport in dead xylem vesels and live phloem.

I'm picturing a 250 mL flask of boiling water with a one-hole stopper
and a piece of wide rubber tubing slit lengthwise near the end to insert
the stem and close with a pinchcock or screwcock clamp. But will this
work? Will the steam cool and condense too much before reaching the
stem? Or will it jet out and scald the kids? Any thoughts or hints for
this experiment?

Many thanks,

Jon Greenberg