new name?

Lee Hadden hadden at WINGATE.EDU
Tue Jun 9 18:20:13 EST 1998

--------------17F2E99896C39EA376B7E7A6

--------------EDF05360514D81B67DF8C186

This has to be one of the top four topics in terms of responses in the past
year!  I'll have to ditto responses from David and Jon and add some
additional thoughts:

1.  What perception of us do people who are seeking answers get, if we
isolate ourselves from them [or them from us]?   "Us" being anything from
"plant-eders" to college faculty, biologists, botanists, researchers,
people in general?  We represent,officially or unofficially, our
discipline, institution, and profession [not to mention supposedly
civilized and educated fellow humans.]

2.  I wish my students would ask as many questions!   Those seeking answers
and assistance are the ones who want to learn and are thus teachable; and
are the ones I want to teach.

3.  At least in this forum we have the option [privilege] of ignoring ones
we think are poorly stated or thought out, or [more importantly perhaps]
those questions to which we don't know the answer.  At least we don't have
to say "I don't know"  more than our egos can bear or drop back and punt
with some half-baked response trying to look like we know a little about
everything!  And how nice to be able to "proof" our responses or reconsider
them before airing them!

4.  It is so easy, as some have pointed out, to delete ones we don't want
to deal with.
CLICK!  Problem solved.
Why create work by filtering, moderating, renaming, etc., especially at the
risk of turning away or turning off individuals who sincerely want help but
didn't know which source was most appropriate for their query.  If we're
educators, let's do just that when and where we can, with whomever we can.

5.   Maybe there ought to be one master link to the links David Kramer
listed for us, listed under our banner or somewhere on the page.  Then
people who need gardening help would have ready access to those.   [one
caution:  I have stayed away from giving technical advice to people whose
endeavors involved risk to themselves or their students.  If my
contribution were taken as endorsement of some procedure over which I had
no oversight, by a person whose technical abilities and safety awareness
were unknown to me, I might unwittingly help create a dangerous situation.
Other than to caution them, if responding at all, I've left them alone,
hoping they would seek on-site help from a colleague who might notice and
point out hazards.   The most recent "using steam to kill phloem" is a case
in point.  Possibly workable in my lab, but not necessarily in one I'm not
supervising  or familiar with.

Keep up the encouraging, inspiring, and tremendously helpful work
colleagues!  It's great to have an arena in which I can get insight on
things I'm ignorant about, and with colleagues with whom I am comfortable
showing where I am ignorant, knowing I won't be for long!  [If your
students could get a feel for you as real people in search of knowledge
(answers to questions) from this site as I have, our academic endeavors
with them would be greatly enhanced.]

Have a great week!

Lee Hadden

Jon Monroe wrote:

> Plant-ed...
>
> is a good name that a lot of people recognize.  I really don't think we
> have a problem so lets not try to fix it.
>
> Jon

>   Jonathan Monroe                voice:  540-568-6649 (office)
>   Department of Biology                  540-568-6045 (lab)
>   James Madison University       fax:    540-568-3333
>   Harrisonburg, VA 22807-0001    e-mail: monroejd at jmu.edu
>     http://www.jmu.edu/biology/biofac/jmonroe/jmonroe.html

--------------EDF05360514D81B67DF8C186

<HTML>
This has to be one of the top four topics in terms of responses in the
past year!&nbsp; I'll have to ditto responses from David and Jon and add
some additional thoughts:

<P>1.&nbsp; What perception of us do people who are seeking answers get,
if we isolate ourselves from them [or them from us]?&nbsp;&nbsp; "Us" being
anything from "plant-eders" to college faculty, biologists, botanists,
researchers, people in general?&nbsp; We represent,officially or unofficially,
our discipline, institution, and profession [not to mention supposedly
civilized and educated fellow humans.]

<P>2.&nbsp; I wish my students would ask as many questions!&nbsp;&nbsp;
Those seeking answers and assistance are the ones who want to learn and
are thus teachable; and are the ones I <B>want</B> to teach.

<P>3.&nbsp; At least in this forum we have the option [privilege] of ignoring
ones we think are poorly stated or thought out, or [more importantly perhaps]
those questions to which we don't know the answer.&nbsp; At least we don't
have to say "I don't know"&nbsp; more than our egos can bear or drop back
and punt with some half-baked response trying to look like we know a little
about everything!&nbsp; And how nice to be able to "proof" our responses
or reconsider them before airing them!

<P>4.&nbsp; It is so easy, as some have pointed out, to delete ones we
don't want to deal with.
<BR>CLICK!&nbsp; Problem solved.
<BR>Why create work by filtering, moderating, renaming, etc., especially
at the risk of turning away or turning off individuals who sincerely want
help but didn't know which source was most appropriate for their query.&nbsp;
If we're educators, let's do just that when and where we can, with whomever
we can.

<P>5.&nbsp;&nbsp; Maybe there ought to be one master link to the links
David Kramer listed for us, listed under our banner or somewhere on the
page.&nbsp; Then people who need gardening help would have ready access
to those.&nbsp;&nbsp; [one caution:&nbsp; I have stayed away from giving
technical advice to people whose endeavors involved risk to themselves
or their students.&nbsp; If my contribution were taken as endorsement of
some procedure over which I had no oversight, by a person whose technical
abilities and safety awareness were unknown to me, I might unwittingly
help create a dangerous situation.&nbsp; Other than to caution them, if
responding at all, I've left them alone, hoping they would seek on-site
help from a colleague who might notice and point out hazards.&nbsp;&nbsp;
The most recent "using steam to kill phloem" is a case in point.&nbsp;
Possibly workable in my lab, but not necessarily in one I'm not supervising&nbsp;
or familiar with.

<P>Keep up the encouraging, inspiring, and tremendously helpful work colleagues!&nbsp;
It's great to have an arena in which I can get insight on things I'm ignorant
about, and with colleagues with whom I am comfortable showing where I am
ignorant, knowing I won't be for long!&nbsp; [If your students could get
a feel for you as real people in search of knowledge (answers to questions)
from this site as I have, our academic endeavors with them would be greatly
enhanced.]

<P>Have a great week!

<P>Lee Hadden
<BR>&nbsp;

<P>Jon Monroe wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Plant-ed...

<P>is a good name that a lot of people recognize.&nbsp; I really don't
think we
<BR>have a problem so lets not try to fix it.

<P>Jon

<P>-----------------------------------------------------------------
<BR>&nbsp; Jonathan Monroe&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
voice:&nbsp; 540-568-6649 (office)
<BR>&nbsp; Department of Biology&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
540-568-6045 (lab)
<BR>&nbsp; James Madison University&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
fax:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 540-568-3333
<BR>&nbsp; Harrisonburg, VA 22807-0001&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; e-mail: monroejd at jmu.edu
<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <A HREF="http://www.jmu.edu/biology/biofac/jmonroe/jmonroe.html">http://www.jmu.edu/biology/biofac/jmonroe/jmonroe.html</A>
<BR>-----------------------------------------------------------------</BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;</HTML>

--------------EDF05360514D81B67DF8C186--

--------------17F2E99896C39EA376B7E7A6

begin:          vcard
fn:             Lee Hadden
n:              Hadden;Lee
org:            Wingate University, Wingate, NC  28174
adr:            Department of Biology;;Wingate University;Wingate;NC;28174;USA
email;internet: hadden at wingate.edu
title:          Professor and Chair, Department of Biology
tel;work:       704-233-8238
tel;fax:        704-233-8192
tel;home:       704-233-4816
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0