Lab help

Lyn Loveless mloveless at ACS.WOOSTER.EDU
Thu Jun 11 16:14:38 EST 1998

Dear Plant-Edders:

I am working on a complete revision of our intro biology labs at Wooster.
I am interested in any information you all might have on good,
investigative labs which explore botany in general, but especially plant
anatomy and structure, transpiration, and plant water relations.  I have
misplaced an article I had from American Biology Teacher which described
microenvironmental manipulation of stomates to look at stomatal control.
Does anyone have that reference so I could relocate that "how to?"  What
else works to demonstrate water relations in a dramatic and involving way,
besides celery in food coloring??

For anatomy, I am thinking of an investigative lab involving hand
sectioning of various parts of a plant, to enable students to build their
own model of plant structure.  But I am also intrigued by mechanistic
approaches to plant structure and anatomy.  Can you point me in some useful
directions?  What plants work well for hand-sectioning?

Finally, has anyone got info on how to induce mating in fern gametophytes?
Are there ways to promote gametangial maturation and to get gamete release
on cue?

Web pages, manuals, and any other sources of info would be welcome!

Thanks for your help.

Lyn Loveless

Lyn Loveless
Department of Biology