aniline blue stain for pollen tubes

James W. Perry jperry at UWC.EDU
Fri Jun 26 15:44:28 EST 1998

This from O'Brien and McCully, THE STUDY OF PLANT STRUCTURE: PRINCIPLES AND
SELECTED METHODS (1981):

0.05%w/v water soluble aniline blue, CI No. 42755 (source: Polysciences
Co.) in phospahte buffer, pH 8.5. Use freshly made solution or store in
dark bottle in refrig. Discard when blue color changes to greenish.

This is a flurochrome. Absorbance maximum is ca. 370 nm, peak emission is
509 nm (exciter BG12 combined with barrier 53 or barrrier 65 + 50 which
will minimize chlorophyll autofluorescence).

Don't know the original reference, but maybe this will do the trick.

At 11:40 AM 6/26/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Would someone please post the recipe for the aniline blue stain used to
>stain pollen tubes in situ derived from Kho and Baer?  Our library does not
>carry Euphytica, where it was published, and interlibrary loan has taken a
>month and still not come up with the paper.
>
>Thanks.
>Peggy E. Pollak
>Department of Biological Sciences
>Northern Arizona University
>Flagstaff, AZ 86011-5640

James. W. Perry, CEO/Campus Dean
Professor, Department of Biological Sciences
University of Wisconsin - Fox Valley
1478 Midway Road, P.O. Box 8002
Menasha, Wisconsin 54952-9002
Office: 920.832.2610