fruits and nuts

PROFDHW at AOL.COM PROFDHW at AOL.COM
Fri Jun 26 18:25:29 EST 1998

In a message dated 26/06/1998 3:49:25 PM, Peggy E. Pollak wrote:

>Will someone please give me some examples of plants that bear fruit in the
>form of true nuts?  I know hazelnut and acorn are, and that most others
>called nuts are not, but I cannot find an authoritative source of this
>information.

Add walnut and you may have an exhaustive list. Indehiscent, hard-pericarp,
one-locule, one-seed; all are characteristics. I think the walnut fails
technically because it is one-seeded by abortion. The concept has no taxonomic
integrity, as does legume or karyopsis, and is only vaguely defined.

Dave Williams
Science Department Chair
Valencia Community College, East Campus
701 N. Econlockhatchee Trail
Orlando, FL 32825
Email (preferred): profdhw at aol.com
Email (institutional): dwilliams at valencia.cc.fl.us
407-299-5000 Ext. 2443
FAX: 407-299-5000; press "1" then enter 2437