fruits and nuts

Lee Hadden hadden at WINGATE.EDU
Tue Jun 30 13:32:11 EST 1998

--------------3CECCC5DA89C1E69151268AD

This "nutty" controversy reminds me of a problem I generally encounter when
teaching fruits [oops--teaching about fruits.]   Some categories and examples are
no problem, but others tend to be. Having students look at picture examples in
books for each fruit category is not very exciting nor helpful.  I usually have a
"Fruit lab" [usually the last one of the term and turn it into sort of a
party/celebration] in which students have to describe the parts of various specimen
purchased at the food store.  When they know what it is and why, and can identify
major regions and structures, they can eat it.  Invariably,  I run into edible
examples whose complete anatomy I cannot determine .  Sometimes an educated guess
sounds logiical enough to satisfy them and me, but the nagging uncertainty bugs me.

Most texts and lab manuals cite a few examples for each category, not all of which
are available fresh or in this country.  They also may have a few sectional views
or drawings which help for their examples, but not necessarily the ones I can use.
Does anyone have or would someone be willing to compile a list of common fruits in
the various categories [ones students might be familiar with and hopefully ones
that are available fresh, frozen, or canned in the store] that would complement
text lists and diagrams?   Thanks in advance to anyone willing to take summer hours
to help out.  By the way, students mention the "fruit lab"  years later when they
see me.   The one year I didn't bother to do it, the class complained--"Why aren't
we going to do the fruit lab like previous classes have?"  And some of them
actually remember the correct category years after the fact!
Sincerely,
Lee Hadden

--------------3CECCC5DA89C1E69151268AD

begin:          vcard
fn:             Lee Hadden
n:              Hadden;Lee
org:            Wingate University, Wingate, NC  28174
adr:            Department of Biology;;Wingate University;Wingate;NC;28174;USA
email;internet: hadden at wingate.edu
title:          Professor and Chair, Department of Biology
tel;work:       704-233-8238
tel;fax:        704-233-8192
tel;home:       704-233-4816
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0