Planting Liberty and Valley Forge elms together

BCarley978 bcarley978 at aol.com
Mon Jun 29 20:13:05 EST 1998

The following website describes an independent project in Massachusetts through
which an assortment of disease-resistant American elm varieties, including
American Liberty and Valley Forge, are being planted side by side in
conservation areas for elm restoration purposes:

http://users.aol.com/BCarley978/elmpost.htm

The American elm needs to be restored, at least locally, to its former
splendor, to prevent its extermination from our landscape. We cannot allow
ongoing controversies about the relative merits of different varieties to
interfere with our progress in this kind of endeavor. Hopefully this example
will be followed in other locations as public interest in American elm
restoration continues to skyrocket.