rooting ginkgo cuttings

Polly pmlaw at ulster.net
Wed Mar 4 09:26:12 EST 1998

In article <6di3a0$jrq at sjx-ixn7.ix.netcom.com>, animaux at ix.netcom.com(M &
V) wrote:

>Go out and buy some perlite and rooting hormone.  Follow directions on
>the hormone package, find a node, if you know how to make a heel cut,
>make one at the node and stick that into moist perlite.  Put a plastic
>bag over the whole shebang and in about 3 months you may have roots.
>

>Victoria
>

>In <chull-0303981703450001 at ts2port70.port.net> chull at interport.net
>writes:
>>

>>I'm looking for help or direction in my effort to root four ginkgo
>cuttings.
>>
>>I live in NYC, and there are several 20- to 30-foot ginkgo trees
>across
>>the street from my apartment. A delivery truck snapped off a low
>branch on
>>one of them, and I broke off 2- to 3-foot sections from the ends of
>four
>>branches. This happened three days ago, and I have had them stuck in a
>>vase of water since. What else can I do to root these and eventually
>plant
>>them? (By the way, the planting would take place in North Texas, where
>I'm
>>moving in a couple of weeks.)
>>
>>Any information about how to do this, or where to find information
>about
>>it, would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

Unfortunately, Ginkgo does not propagate easily from cuttings. The most
recommended methods are layering(both simple and air,) seed, and splice
veneer grafting of a desired cultivar onto an already existing G. biloba
root stock. Also, cuttings are usually only several inches long and taken
later in the season for softwood or in the fall for semi- and hardwood
cuttings. But, hey, you never know   ;-)

A good book for information on propagating is "The Complete Book of Plant
Propagation" by Clarke and Toogood.

Good luck in Texas,

Polly M. Law

Upstate NY/Z5