grading group projects

Jon Monroe monroejd at jmu.edu
Mon May 4 16:27:40 EST 1998

>Jon wrote:
>>In the future I may want to try using some form of evaluation in which
>>some of
>the grade will be based on effort. >

and QDurham replied:
>Appreciating the problem, may I suggest that as effort is only a learning
>tool,
>you continue to struggle with the problem of grading them on what they
>learned.
> Grading the students on effort would make sense if the class were "Effort -1"

For sure, most of their grade will be determined by what they've learned,
but for a borderline case I try very hard to reward effort.  Maybe I'm an
idealist, but I would rather give a better grade to an average student who
works really hard, than a bright student who doesn't care.

Jon

  Jonathan Monroe                voice:  540-568-6649 (office)
  Department of Biology                  540-568-6045 (lab)
  James Madison University       fax:    540-568-3333
  Harrisonburg, VA 22807-0001    e-mail: monroejd at jmu.edu
    http://www.jmu.edu/biology/biofac/jmonroe/jmonroe.html