light intensity units

CarlPike c_pike at ACAD.FANDM.EDU
Mon May 18 13:48:33 EST 1998

Can someone help me compare apples and oranges?

I made some light intensity measurements in my lab using a quantum sensor
for PAR (400-700 nm), so the units are umoles photons per m2 per sec.  My
purpose was to help our operations folks design better room lighting.  I
realize that architects are used to measuring light in units such as lumens
or foot-candles.  My problem is to try to convert.  I know it can't be done
exactly, because one is measuring different things.  But assuming the
spectral distribution of a typical fluorescent light bulb, does anyone have
a rough approximation of a conversion?

Carl S. Pike                             (717) 291-3958
Department of Biology                    FAX (717) 399-4548
Franklin and Marshall College            Internet  C_PIKE at ACAD.FANDM.EDU
P.O. Box 3003
Lancaster, PA  17604-3003  USA