Cycads, Bulbs, Pelargoniums and Succulents

Cape Flora doni at mweb.co.za
Tue May 19 17:43:51 EST 1998

Cape Flora

Indigenous Cycads, Bulbs, Pelargoniums and Succulents

Bulbous Plants:

South Africa’s flora is extremely rich in bulbous plants. There is an
extraordinary diversity of form, colour and fragrance
almost without
parallel anywhere else in the world. Our bulbs populate a wide range of
habitats from coastal dunes, arid regions and even
sub-tropical
forests to mountainous regions in both the summer and winter rainfall
areas.

Cycads:

Cycads make excellent feature plants in the garden as well as ideal
container-plants, and are easy to grow. Varieties which
are more
cold-hardy as well as warmer-growing species are available.

Pelargoniums:

Pelargoniums are part of the large family, Geraniaceae some of which are
the popular pot plants we know as Geraniums.
These
"Geraniums", more correctly termed Pelargoniums have adapted themselves
superbly to many different habitats and
climatic zones. They
mainly occur in South Africa with the heaviest concentration of species
in the South Western Cape.

Succulents and Caudiciform Plants:

Succulents have been in cultivation for many years, and many are highly
prized collectors’ items. Succulents, which are
distinguished from
cacti, are found throughout the world but it is in Southern Africa where
the succulent flora reaches its highest
concentration. Succulents
are divided into three groups:

   a. leaf succulents such as Gasteria and Conophytum;
   b. stem succulents such as various Euphorbias and Stapelias and
   c. Caudiciforms, which makes use of a swollen organ such as a stem or
root, which serves as a reservoir which may or
may not be
     below ground level.

Visit our new updated web page at:
http://users.iafrica.com/c/ca/capeflor/index1.html