Question

Monique Reed monique at bio.tamu.edu
Tue Nov 3 17:22:59 EST 1998

Yes, probably more than 70 species, but for allergy purposes and
allergy-testing purposes and pollen-identification purposes, all the oaks are
basically the same, all the elms are basically the same, all the ashes are
basically the same, all the spring grasses are the same, pecan is the same
as walnut, etc., so it can be hard to count accurately.   People I know who do
pollen identification say it is nearly impossible to ID to species, so most
pollen counts don't differentiate.

Looking at my screening sheet, I see 38 plant aeroallergens that my allergist
screens for.  Some are mixes (e.g. pine mix) and some are markers (e.g., if
you test positive for Bermudagrass and Johnson grass, you are probably
allergic to most of the others as well; positive for post oak and all the
others are probably gonna get you.)

Good grief, this brings back memories---I thinkk they poked me with at least
30 of them and I think I was positive to 28 or so... I must be crazy...

Monique Reed