Basic Plant Phys questions

Mule mule at fxnet.missouri.org
Thu Nov 26 01:54:46 EST 1998

I can only comment on two things.  Although I do not know everything that is
being discussed in this thread, I am following it none-the-less to see if
someone has the answers.

1.  I think it isn't the amount or intensity of the light that matters, but
the range of the spectrum that the plant receives.  My thinking is this- You
take two of the same plants;  put a plant under a normal 60 watt light bulb
for lets say a week.  place the other plant under a Grow Light for perhaps
less time (lets say three and a half days).  We know that the plant
receiving the light from the Grow Light will prosper over the other plant
receiving normal light.  So I guess the question that I ponder from all of
this is, Does the light emitted from a flash of lightning cover the range(s)
the plant needs for optimal growth?  Lets not even talk about a plant that
needs partial shade compared to a plant that needs full sun  :).

2.  Does the moon effect the growth of plants?  I think it does.  There is
one plant that comes to mind, the Poinsettia.  If you want it to bloom, you
have to keep it in TOTAL DARKNESS for months.  I have been told that even a
tiny sliver of light that may come in from under a door  ,that is emitted
from a candle that is positioned across the other side of the room, could
cause the Poinsettia to not bloom.

3. One more comment.  I lived in Hawaii for four years.  It seemed to shower
at least once every day for approximately 8 months out of the year.  I can
only count a handful of times that it actually thundered.  And on those
occasions, seldom did I see the sky flash.

So I hope I didn't fall off base here...
<3.0.5.32.19981125091718.0086c250 at biology.semo.edu>...