paper making?

Monique Reed monique at bio.tamu.edu
Fri Oct 23 08:29:44 EST 1998

We do paper in our Plants and People course (we also do beer, but that's
another story).  We don't get anything like a good, thin, finished paper, but
the students *do* get the idea of macerating and soaking fibers, floating
them, molding them in deckles, pressing, and drying.  The usual result is a
stiffish cardboard-like paper which could be used for note cards.

The deckle forms were made from wood and fine mesh screening.  We use felt or
herbarium blotters in drying, and usually we just tear up office paper and put
it in a blender with a little fabric softener and a lot of water.  We have
come up with some nice colors recycling colored paper.  We have also played
around with incorporating flower petals and such.

I am doing the lab on paper making next week and there will be a web site
posted soon on it.  (Will post back with the URL once we know it!) A good
source for supplies is Lee S. McDonald of Mass.  They sell brass paper screen
in bulk and any other supplies that you need, including prepulped fibers.
After looking at the web site, if you have any questions, please feel free to
contact Jeannie Skalsky at jskalsky at bio.tamu.edu.