oceanside trees

Jon Monroe monroejd at jmu.edu
Tue Oct 27 21:23:39 EST 1998

On 27 Oct 1998, Carl Pike relayed:

> >I have to do a literature review for my Plant Ecology class.  I want to
> >research the responses of trees to on-shore winds-- salty winds-- in
> >relation to the tree height.  I remembered back in sixth grade we were told
> >that the trees leveled off right where the ocean breeze came over the
> >trees-- we were inland only a little bit, and apparently there were levels
> >of salt in the air, and where the ocean vapor level was the tree stopped
> >growing up and started growing out.  The trees looked pretty funny...
> >Anyway, I can't find any literature about this, and I wondered if you have
> >ever heard of this, and if so, where I could find some information.

I've spent very little time next to oceans, but quite a lot of time near
the northern Great Lakes where, despite the lack of salt, one sees the
same sort of "flagging" in conifers along the shorelines.  Winds off the
lakes can be strong and cold in the winter and they probably kill exposed
buds on the windward side more frequently than on the protected side,
hence most lateral growth is away from the lake and wind.  The problem
would be more severe the taller the tree... I wouldn't be surprised if
salty wind has other effects - anyone know?

Brings back fond memories...

Jon

  Jonathan Monroe
  Associate Professor
  Department of Biology
  MSC 7801
  James Madison University
  Harrisonburg, VA 22807
  voice:  540-568-6649 (office)
          540-568-6045 (lab)
  fax:    540-568-3333
  e-mail: monroejd at jmu.edu
  csm.jmu.edu/biology/monroejd/jmonroe.html