phloroglucinol recipe

Dummy moron at
Fri Sep 11 13:46:18 EST 1998

On 10 Sep 1998 09:45:12 -0700, jensendp at ("Jensen, Douglas
Paige") wrote:

>Hello All,
>	I have inherited crystalline phloroglucinol stain,
>and I'm looking for a recipe to mix it up.
>	In the past, I have purchased it in solution, and
>used it with HCl (I think 50%) on the specimen.
>Douglas P. Jensen
>Department of Biology
>MSC 7801
>James Madison University
>Harrisonburg  VA  22807
>phone: (540)568-3343
>jensendp at
OK, the recipe I have is as follows:

Phloroglucinol, solid: 2g
Methanol, 100%: 100mL
HCl, Conc.: 100mL
Water, Distilled: 100mL

Store in cool, dark place, in wrapped amber bottle
Shelf life 2 to 12 months

Used to identify mechanical pulps (paper fibers)

Hope this helps

tm37 at ipst dot edu
Institute of Paper Science and Technology

By the way: if my memory serves me, phloroglucinol may be
carcinogenic, or some other bio-nasty (not that methanol is good to
drink, as well). You may want to hunt up a recent MSDS.