How to Dry Pressed Plants?

Jensen, Douglas Paige jensendp at jmu.edu
Wed Sep 16 09:08:00 EST 1998

I find that approximately 5 days in the press is sufficient
for specimens to dry without a drier.  I have had few
problems with with classes of 15 students, making 30
specimens each--perhaps not as large a group as yours.

You can speed drying by placing presses near heat ducts so
the air blows through the ventilators.  Also, you can put
the presses in a dry room (some utility rooms are good).
My gut reaction about the light bulbs is that they are a
fire hazard.

I've heard stories of early- to mid-20th century botanists
strapping presses to the tops of their cars while they drive
around on collecting trips.  I haven't used that one, but
my students find the imagery amusing.

Doug

Douglas P. Jensen
Department of Biology