Arabidopsis of legumes

Julia Frugoli jfrugoli at BIO.TAMU.EDU
Mon Sep 21 16:11:34 EST 1998

OK, I admit I have a bias here (I work in this
system), but in the discussion on symbiosis, no one
has mentioned Medicago truncatula, the diploid
alfalfa that's revolutionizing nitrogen fixation
genetics (see "Model legumes get the Nod" Plant Cell
9:275-281). After scarification (we treat for 12
minutes with straight H2SO4, followed by 2 hours in
sterile H2O) truncatula seeds germinate in 3 days (2
days in the cold, followed by one day at RT).  We
grow them in hydroponic conditions, because we are
looking at nodulation genes, so I'm not sure how the
following would translate to soil, but the symbiont
is Rhizobium meliloti, the same bacterium that forms
a symbiosis with Medicago sativa (commercial
tetraploid alfalfa).  5 days after placing the
germinated seedlings in the tank, we inoculate them
with a log phase culture of Rhizobia, and 10 days
later nodules are fully formed.  This is the kind of
time scale that might be adaptable to lab.  The
plants take 3 months seed to seed, so it might even
be possible over the course of a term to see a
difference in nodulated vs non-nodulated plants.