intro botany/plant science texts

Dana Ann Dudle ddudle at steel.ucs.indiana.edu
Fri Apr 2 16:10:47 EST 1999

Hello,

I have just accepted a position at a small liberal arts college and I will
be teaching introductory botany in the fall.  Does anyone have suggestions
for well-written, conceptually based texts?  I  won't be teaching the
course as a taxonomy or systematics course, but as an introduction to
plant cells, development, ecology, evolution, etc.?   I have used Raven's
Biology of Plants in the past, but I am looking for other ideas.

I also will be searching for ideas for labs-- in particular, I want  to
include a good number of experiments to supplement straight 'scope work.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and/or advice

Dana Dudle
Indiana University