Growing Arabidopsis?

Elizabeth Larkin elarkin at NMT.EDU
Mon Aug 2 11:16:57 EST 1999

I don't have a problem transplanting the plants to soil. I have found if you transplant after the rosette has been established (about 14 days).
	All I do is remove the plant, wash the roots in water, and plant them in 1:1:1 prolite vermiculite peatmoss soaked in water. The key is in ensuring that the leaves are dry and the hardening. I place a pipette tip in the pot to "tent" up the  plastic wrap to start. then changing the water everyday, I allow them dryer and dryer air ( and in NM the air is pretty dry). I poke 3-5 holes in the plastic with a probe 2 days after the transplant. If the plants are still alive ( and I have about a 90% success rate) then they will survive the whole process. Two days later I slit the wrap, two days latter I remove the rubber band, two days later I unfold 1/2 of the wrap. Then two days later I remove the wrap completely.
	I keep them wet for another 2-4 days then to the normal dry between waterings.
	I know that this is a bit drawn out, but it allows me to view the phenotype on media and then collect a healthy number of seeds  for further study.
	This method is also useful on sickly plants with a somewhat lower success rate ( 30-50%).
	The tricky part is the remove of all media from the roots. I use 2% sucrose media, so if there is media on the roots they become infected, and making sure the leaves stay dry.
	Perhaps it's different using different strains, or as I've stated before, perhaps I am an Arabidopsis freak of nature.
	Just my long two cents worth
	Lizze