Growing Arabidopsis?

Mon Aug 2 11:16:48 EST 1999

Hi Grant!

One point I failed to make in my previous post was that
I also remind students to handle the phytagel block
directly rather than lift the phytgel block by pulling
on the seedling.

I haven't tried rockwool yet so I'm not clear about
growth rates and final size.  The phytagel move to
Fafard #2 for us has resulted in plants about 30-40
centimeters (to top of inflorescence) and with perhaps
25 basal rosette leaves. I don't know whether that is
"puny" or not...but I have been happy with the size
and growth rate. We grow under lights and this size is
almost too-big as it is (inflorescences getting crowded
and possible cross-pollinations).  So, if that IS puny
and your method gives significantly larger plants, I'm
not sure it would help in our situation.  Please advise
on this as it is important to know whether our plants
are indeed abnormal or not.  If I can get my hands on some
rockwook I'll give it a try to see if I like it better.

I do have one other question, though, and that is safety.
With the asbestos problem, and with parallel fiberglass
legislation "in the works", dare we use rockwool in
teaching? I have become quite concerned even with using
perlite...I do use it, but have the students wet it down
immediately to avoid its dust. And, when you are done
with rockwool, is there any problem with disposal?
Currently I put our greenhouse waste in my home compost
pile (since the ECSU greenhouse is pesticide-free), but
I think I would put rockwool in our university trash-stream.
I'm wondering if trash contractors would have a problem
with it mixed in with the rest of the trash.

ross

Ross Koning                 | koning at ecsu.ctstateu.edu
Willimantic, CT 06226 USA   | fax: 860-465-4479