Growing Arabidopsis?

Gerald F. Deitzer gd3 at UMAIL.UMD.EDU
Mon Aug 2 13:10:50 EST 1999

--------------365E706BA402EADDBFB25921

Ross mentioned growth under lighting, but  nobody else has mentioned it.  We find
that this is critical for experimental use.  The biggest problem (fortunately) is
too much light.  Arabidopsis is  a shade adapted rosette plant and cannot
tolerate very bright light.  We find that 100-150 umol/m2/s of PAR is more that
adequate, even under very short daylengths (8-hr).  Addition of incandescent
light to long photoperiods (16-24-hr) will hasten flowering in all ecotypes.
Otherwise we have always used 1/4-1/8 strength Hoagland's #1 Solution in a
semi-hydroponic system similar to that described by Jon Monroe earlier in this
discussion.  The Rockwool sounds like a good idea as does Rich Arteca's approach
with the foam.  I am embarrassed to say that I missed his poster at the meeting
(there were only 1,000 of them to deal with) as well, even though I did get a
chance to talk to him somewhere in the poster room.  This has been a very useful
discussion.

Gerry Deitzer

begin:vcard
n:Deitzer;Gerald F.
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:University of Maryland
version:2.1
email;internet:gd3 at umail.umd.edu
title:Professor of Horticulture
tel;fax:301-314-9308
tel;home:301-445-2664
tel;work:301-405-4335
adr;quoted-printable:;;Department of Natural Resource Sciences & Landscape Architecture=0D=0A2132 Plant Sciences ;College Park;MD;20742-4452;USA
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:Deitzer, Gerald F.
end:vcard