Nitella lab

Janice M. Glime jmglime at MTU.EDU
Wed Aug 4 14:59:19 EST 1999

  Several members of this list have suggested Nitella as an organism for
osmosis experiments, so I ordered some from Wards, hoping to tie it in a
pretzel and demonstrate its increasing turgidity as the organism untied.
However, the specimens I got were puny and although we will try them, I
doubt they will be satisfactory.  Furthermore, what I received as "enough
for 35 students" is barely enough for two.
  Does anyone have a good source for Nitella or Chara for this experiment?
Our local water isn't "hard" enough, so it is difficult to find.
 Janice M. Glime, Professor
 Department of Biological Sciences
 Michigan Technological University
 Houghton, MI 49931-1295