Seeking flowering Lemnaceae

Bob Wise wise at VAXA.CIS.UWOSH.EDU
Fri Aug 6 17:27:29 EST 1999

To colleagues in the Mid-Atlantic states,

	I am interested in obtaining specimens of Lemnaceae in flower.
Although individuals of the four genera (Lemna, Spirodela, Wolffia,
Wolffiella--35 total species) have been reported to flower in the wild,
they do so very rarely, perhaps only every 10 or 20 years.  When they have
been found in flower, it has usually been at the end of a hot, dry growing
season, they flower profusely (~100%), and all species in the pond (they
usually occur as mixed populations of at least 3 or 4 species) flower at
once.
	I would greatly appreciate it if anyone in the hot and dry
Mid-Atlantic states would take the time to check out local populations of
Lemnaceae for me.  Next time you pass by a drainage ditch or small pond
containing duckweed, have a quick look for flowers.  It takes at least a
10x hand lens to see them.  I can send JPEGs of what to look for if anyone
is interested.
	This is your chance to join the worldwide Lemnaceae research
community (uh, there are about 10 of us at last count).

TIA

Bob
Dr. Robert R. Wise
Department of Biology