Germinating Coconuts !

egamauf egamauf at black-hole.com
Tue Aug 10 17:51:04 EST 1999

In article <259112D8931239E2EC2F054D at biology.semo.edu> ,
dstarret at BIOLOGY.SEMO.EDU (David Starrett) wrote:

> At 09:24 AM 8/10/99 -0500, you wrote:
>>The coconuts sold in stores usually aren't mature.  The sloshing you
>>hear, the milk, is liquid endosperm.  It's an unusual phenomenon--the
>>endosperm is multi-nuclear but has no cell walls.  As the fruit matures,
>>the endosperm solidifies into the "meat" of the coconut.  The more milk,
>>the less ripe the nut.
>
> Does a mature seed therefore have no milk?  I have heard that the endosperm
> solidifies and always wondered why/how a liquid which would settle to the
> bottom coats the inside so uniformly.  So, all the meat in a coconut is
> solid endosperm?  Why the big hollow space?  To make it float?  Where is
> the cotyledon?  Is there a scutellum-like structure  on the embryo?  What
> fruit type would a coconut fall under? (not being a true nut).
>
> Guess I was luckier than I relalized getting a supermarket coconut to
> germinate.
>

> Dave Starrett
>

> /^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^\
> |  Dr. David Starrett, Director                        |
> |  Center for Scholarship in Teaching and Learning     |
> |  MS 4650, 1 University Plaza                         |
> |  Southeast Missouri State University                 |
> |  Cape Girardeau, MO 63701                 \          |
> |  Ph: (573) 651-2298                       /\         |
> |  Fax: (573) 986-6858                     (__)        |
> |  email: starrett at cstl.semo.edu                       |
> |  WWW: http://biology.semo.edu/starrett/starrhpg.html |
> \______________________________________________________/

Instead of sending several individual responses - decided to take this to the
NG even though there's little content here.

Rather suspected germination from the produce section was unlikely.
I used to have the address of a nursery in Hawaii that
specialized shipping to the mainland, but they must've bellied up after a bad
storm a few years ago (actually, quite a few, now that I take stock).

My bro-in-law is visiting from Honolulu, but when I asked for an assortment of
"plant seeds" - I got "crack seed" (dried fruit still containing the seeds -
unfortunately they're plums & such variety).
A little too laid back, I think. They're still howling over his error.

(Don't know what's going on with my ISP & the multiple posts, they're working
on a bad kernal - endosperm notwithstanding).

Thanks for the reply to all.

-- E. G.