Germinating Coconuts?

Steve Hinkson sphinkson at worldnet.att.net
Thu Aug 12 00:54:15 EST 1999

The endosperm in a coconut is a semisolid when the nut is ripe.  The edible ones
at the store are picked very green to allow a long shelf life.  The "meat" that we
shred is the enlarged cotyledon.
I wasn't trying to imply that the endosperm wasn't supposed to be there, but that
if it sounded like water inside, it was a sign that the nut was unripe.
You were fortunate that your store seed ripened enough to germinate.  Generally,
the "green" seeds
rot rather than mature.

--
Drop by and see me at :