coconuts

Bill Purves purves at THUBAN.AC.HMC.EDU
Thu Aug 12 18:36:32 EST 1999

Dave Starrett wrote:

>O.K., now I have two questions that seem to be getting conflicting answers.
>
>1)  What is the meat?  Is it cotylerdon and thus converting endosperm to
>embryo?  Is it soldified endosperm?  If it is cotyledon, where does the
>milk go?  Why is it that even ripe coconuts have milk in them, seemingly as
>much as unripe.  (in Hawaii and some asian countries brown "ripe" coconuts
>are halved and the milk drank.

The meat is solid endosperm.  Liquid endosperm gradually changes to solid
endosperm as cell walls form.

>2)  Is the coconut technically a drupe?  I had always assumed, and used the
>term, drupe to refer to dicot only.  Can it be used for monocot also?

It is technically a drupe.  The term isn't reserved for dicots.

(bill)

William K. Purves      Vice President/Editorial Director
The Mona Group LLC                     West Coast Office
2817 N. Mountain Avenue              phone: 909.626.4859
Claremont, CA 91711-1550               fax: 909.626.7030
              e-mail: purves at monagroup.com
           http://www2.hmc.edu/bio/purves.html
                http://www.monagroup.com