Coconuts and corn

Steve Hinkson sphinkson at worldnet.att.net
Fri Aug 13 05:18:07 EST 1999

Yes john, you're right.  The corn you eat off the cob is also a seed that is
eaten unripe.  The sweetness is in the liquid endosperm, just as in a
coconut.  When corn's ripe, it's starchy.
Thought the starch was the corn's cotyledon, and the endosperm was enclosed.
Guess Bill Purves thinks that's the wrong anatomy of monocot seeds.  I still
want to know where the  cotyledon is in a Mono - cotyledonus plant.

--
Drop by and see me at :
 http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/6811