Have Question about Ky. Horse Weed Plant

Judy Mullins logcabin at fuse.net
Mon Aug 16 22:40:07 EST 1999

This might seem like an odd question to some people. But, I am very curious
about a plant that grows in my home state of Ky. I am more or less a self
taught herbalist. I am constantly looking at plants, and finding out new
things about plants I have seen all my life. The plant I am curious about is
called the horse weed by most native Kentuckians. I can't find it in any
books. The one plant, that I do find, that's called horse weed, is not the
plant that I am speaking of. This plant grows to be 5 or 6 ft. tall. It has
a single leaf on a stem. The leaf looks similar to a maple leaf. When the
leaf is crushed, it has a delightful smell. My question is, what was this
plant used for besides feeding it to horses? I do know that horses actually
love to eat this plant. I know it must have had another purpose, or another
name when our pioneers used plants for food and medicine. If anyone knows
the answer to my question, please respond by e-mail. Thanks, Judy
                                             logcabin at fuse.net
                  http://members.tripod.com/~logcabin1999/