Activity help

Albert W. Ruesink ruesink at INDIANA.EDU
Tue Aug 31 10:01:24 EST 1999

Jim--
   In a situation like this one, I would try to devise an exercise that
does something more than explore pH, which doesn't involve unique
characteristics of plants.  For instance, for situations where some
microscopes are available, I have developed a hands-on project-oriented
exercise that utilizes living plants of various sorts and asks students to
explore where water flows in these plants using eosin dye as a marker and
where energy is stored using iodine stain to identify it.  This exercise
is mostly a leading series of questions.  Students each pick one and
explore it.
                                           Al Ruesink