computer animations

Beverly Brown bjbrown at NAZ.EDU
Fri Dec 3 08:38:13 EST 1999

Jon,

I can speak to using computer animations in class.  In class evaluations
animations get rave reviews.  They seem to work best when I cover the
material in a lecture format, then show the animations as a summary.
Sometimes if the class still looks a bit confused I will show them a
second time, stopping the animation at potentially confusing points or
elaborating as the animation progresses.  The animations appear to be
especially helpful with 3-dimensional processes such as protein
structure and synthesis, DNA transcription/translation or
meiosis/mitosis.  I recently found a good animation for the separation
of Pangea and think that will also help students to visualize change
over time.

I look for 1) accurate presentation of the material,  2) fairly
sophisticated graphics, and 3) lots of contrast between the background
of the animation and the animation itself.  The latest Raven and Johnson
animations have black backgrounds and on sunny days it is very hard,
even with all the window blinds pulled (not very good since we have no
air conditioning in the classroom) you still can't see very well.

In reviewing class evaluations it is evident that students have a wide
variety of learning styles.  However, it is noteworthy that virtually
all of the students find the animations useful.

Hope this helps!

Beverly

--

Beverly J. Brown, Ph.D.                Phone:  716-389-2555
Nazareth College of Rochester       Fax:      716-586-2452
Biology Department                      E-mail: bjbrown at naz.edu
4245 East Avenue
Rochester, NY 14618-3790