greenhouse

gross at georgian.edu gross at georgian.edu
Fri Dec 3 17:30:25 EST 1999

     Faced with the same problem several years ago, and having a rooftop
     greenhouse with open access to our main academic building which
     made use of strong chemicals not particularly desirable, I adopted
     an IPM approach that included insecticidal soap and beneficial
     insects. I have had all of the below under control for the last 5
     years using IPM.  Daily use of an insecticidal soap (and "mashing"
     by hand and "piercing" with the assistance of a dissection needle)
     provides good control for most species of all of the below, and I
     supplement with thrice yearly releases of beneficial mites that eat
     thrips and spider mites.  I had great success with a ladybug that
     eats mealybugs, but it does not do well at this time of the year
     (works best with long days).  I'm at the point where two hours of
     my time per week for surveillance and spraying to control outbreaks
     as they begin keeps everything under control.  You have to know
     what the preferred host plants are for each pest and keep an eye on
     them.  I also had to eliminate from our plant collection some
     species that had morphologies that made it difficult for
     insecticidal soap to penetrate into all the crevices.  Nontheless,
     I maintain 250 species.  I'm in a space about 24 by 12 feet.

     Mike Gross, Ph.D.
     Assoc Prof Biology
     Biology Dept Chairperson
     Georgian Court College